Thursday, April 15, 2010

"It's like a death...a death in the family"


(January 4, 1962 – April 14, 2010)


Hand me a bass. Chances are I will play you the opening to "Black No.1". Hell, I'll even sing it and everything. It comes natural and 99.9% of the time it never fails, I will play it.

When I heard this morning of the possibility that Peter Steele passed away, I immediately dismissed it as another one of his sick jokes. After all, no media outlet that covered the "rumor" even had the balls to post it as fact. He has all played us for fools before. When it sunk in that it might actually not be a hoax, I got a little sick to my stomach. When I found out that news of his passing was in fact true, I felt as if a part of my teenage years had passed away with him.
Peter Steele was more than just another singer from a band that I liked.

I wanted to be him.

Type O Negative was such an inspiration for me and the guys in "Gift Of Death", the group of guys I made music with. Between Tool and Nine Inch Nails, there really was no other band that had such a great impact on us. As the singer/lyricist, Peter Steele was someone I looked up to. His words were some of the best I have ever heard in song. His music and lyrics bled with emotion. That is what I was striving to do.
And it wasn't just my creative side that appreciated Peter and his great gift with words. The music of Type O negative was essentially at times, the soundtrack to my life.

In memory of Pete I'm posting the songs (That I could find on Youtube) that were part of that soundtrack.











Our prayers go out to Peter, his band mates and of course, his Family.
Thank you Peter for being a part of our lives. We really do feel cheated.
You will be missed.
Until next time, take it e----

1 comment:

  1. I really never intended this blog to become the "death blog", the stars have just aligned that way.
    Truly sad.

    ReplyDelete